We live in perilous times. Anger and evil are rising. There are so many psychos out there taking innocent lives. It can be sobering. We feel so out of control as evil people kill innocent victims. There is no reason. They are psycho. But how can we react in times of chaos and senseless violence? How do we overcome our anxiety in these days of shootings?
6 Ways to Overcome Anxiety in the Chaos of Mass Shootings
1. There is good and there is evil in this world. There will be chaos and confustion. God told us ahead of time. These are the beginning of sorrows. We are in the last days.
The Signs of the Times and the End of the Age
Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will bethe sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”
And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows.
“Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But he who endures to the end shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” -Matthew 24:3-14 NKJV
2. Whether we live or whether we die we belong to the Lord. Trust him with whatever happens next.
For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living. – Romans 14:8-9 NKJV
3. Have faith that God will get you through these last days. Jesus has faith in you and your family and He will be with you here and in Heaven. This world is not our home. We were made for eternity and to live with Jesus in Heaven.
“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” – John 14:1-6 NKJV
4. Our days are numbered in the Book of Life. Trust God that He knows when we are coming home to live with Him. He has put eternity in our hearts. We are citizens of Heaven just trying to make it through this world. We are only passing through. This is not the end, just the beginning.
For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.
I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;[b]
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them. – Psalm 139: 13-16 NKJV
5. Limit your news time and phone time. Whatever you feed will grow. I know people who watch every news story and read every article out there. They feed their fear. The more you feed it the bigger it will grow. Instead, feed your faith. Read the Word, pray, meet with other believers. Strengthen yourself in the most holy faith.
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what isthat good and acceptable and perfect will of God. – Romans 12:1-2 NKJV
6. In uncertain times, remind yourself of one thing that stays the same – God and His love for you. God is faithful. God is true. God will never leave you. God is true. God loves you now and forever. He will lead the way when it is time to leave this world and join Him in Heaven. Trust Him.
Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness. – Lamentations 3:22-23 NKJV