We remember you. Your life, your love, your duty, your sacrifice. Memorial Day is a day to remember those who have lost their lives defending our country and our freedom. As my one friend Tammy said today, ” There will be many people with an empty seat at the table on Memorial Day.” Let us remember those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country and give honor where honor is due.
We Remember You – 15 Memorial Day Quotes 2018
- “Memorial Day is an opportunity to pause and reflect on the sacrifices of the more than one million Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, Airmen, and Coast Guardsmen who have made the ultimate sacrifice to secure our freedom.” – General Norton Schwartz
- “We must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” J. F. Kennedy
- “And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me:” – Lee Greenwood
- “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children through the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same” – Ronald Regan
- “And they who for their country die shall fill an honred grave,
for glory lights the soldier’s tomb, and beauty weeps the brave.” – Joseph Rodman Drake
- “Let every nation know whether it wishes us well or ill, we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty.” – J. F. Kennedy
- “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” – Thomas Paine
- “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends” – google tJohn 15:13
- “May we think of freedom, not as the right to do as we please, but as the opportunity to do what is right.” – Peter Marshall
- “A nation that does not honor its heros will not long endure.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.” – Elmer Davis
- ” A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself” – Joseph Campbell
- “It is foolish and wong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God such men lived.” – George S Patton
- “A soldier doesn’t fight because of what is in front of him – he fights because he loves what he left behind.” – Unknown
- “We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies,
That blood of heroes never dies.” – Mona Michael
It seems so hard, loving someone in the Armed Forces. You love them,build a life, and then they get deployed. Husbands and wives, Parents and childred – they find themselves separated for weeks, to months, to years at a time.
I have not lived through this, but I have family and friends that have. They are so strong. Their relationships have such depth – because they know how to love, pray and wait. They learn to trust, even when they cannot see. I admire their courage and strentgy. They are all heros in my book – the soldeirs and the families that support them.
10 Inspiring Quotes for Military Deployment
- “A hundred hearts would be too few, To carry all my love for you.”- Author Unknown
- “Hundreds of thousands of American servicemen and women are deployed across the world in the war on terror. By bringing hope to the oppressed, and delivering justice to the violent, they are making America more secure. ” – George W. Bush
- If I had a single flower for every time I think of you, I could walk forever in my garden. -Claudia Adrienne Grandi
- “A Soldier Doesn’t Fight Because He Hates What Is In Front Of Him. A Soldier Fights Because He Loves What He Left Behind.” – Unknkown
- You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you. – Frederick Buechner
- ”It’s not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what is required.” — Winston Churchill
- “You never get used to it. You just get through it.” – Army Wives
- “Why does it take a minute to say hello and forever to say goodbye?” -Author Unknown
- “We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.” ― Winston S. Churchill
- Love will travel as far as you let it. It has no limits. —Dee King
What is Honor? What does it look like?
- Regard with high respect or esteem
- Fulfill and obligation or honor an agreement
- A person or thing that brings credit
- Adherence to what is right or to a conventional standard of conduct
- Something regarded as a rare opportunity and bringing pride and pleasure; a privilege
- A thing conferred as a distinction, especially an official award for bravery or achievement.
Honor the Soldier Quotes
- “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.” — General Norman Schwarzkopf Jr.
- “Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened.” –Billy Graham
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” — G.K. Chesterton
- “The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave.” –Patrick Henry
- Never give in –never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.” –Winston Churchill
- “It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the organizer, who gave us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.” –Father Dennis Edward O’Brien, USMC
- “Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear – not absence of fear.” – Mark Twain
- “The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it.” – Thucydides
- “I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.” -George S. Patton
I’m just trying to be a father
Raise a daughter and a son
Be a lover to their mother
Everything to everyone
Up and at ’em bright and early
I’m all business in my suit
Yeah, I’m dressed up for success
From my head down to my boots
I don’t do it for the money
There’s bills that I can’t pay
I don’t do it for the glory
I just do it anyway
Providing for our future’s my responsibility
Yeah, I’m real good under pressure
Being all that I can be
And I can’t call in sick on Mondays
When the weekends been too strong
I just work straight through the holidays
And sometimes all night long
You can bet that I stand ready
When the wolf growls at the door
Hey, I’m solid, hey I’m steady
Hey I’m true down to the core
And I will always do my duty
No matter what the price
I’ve counted up the cost
I know the sacrifice
Oh, and I don’t want to die for you
But if dyin’s asked of me
I’ll bear that cross with honor
‘Cause freedom don’t come free
I’m an American soldier, an American
Beside my brothers and my sisters
I will proudly take a stand
When liberty’s in jeopardy
I will always do what’s right
I’m out here on the front lines
sleep in peace tonight
American soldier, I’m an American soldier
yeah, an American soldier, an American
Beside my brothers and my sisters
I will proudly take a stand
When liberty’s in jeopardy
I will always do what’s right
I’m out here on the front lines
so sleep in peace tonight
American soldier, I’m an American
an American soldier
Songwriters: Chuck Cannon / Toby Keith
American Soldier lyrics © Tokeco Tunes
According to Dictionary.com a WARRIOR is
2.a person who shows or has shown great vigor, courage, or aggressiveness, as in politics or athletics.
Are you a warrior?
Do you fight for justice?
Do you stand up for the oppressed?
Learn to do good.
Rebuke the ruthless,
Defend the fatherless,
Plead for the [rights of the] widow [in court]. – Isaiah 1:17 AMP
12 Heart of a Warrior Quotes
“The most important thing I learned is that soldiers watch what their leaders do. You can give them classes and lecture them forever, but it is your personal example they will follow.”– General Colin Powell
“…It is a proud privilege to be a soldier – a good soldier … [with] discipline, self-respect, pride in his unit and his country, a high sense of duty and obligation to comrades and to his superiors, and a self confidence born of demonstrated ability.” ― George S. Patton Jr.
“Military power wins battles, but spiritual power wins wars.” – General George Marshall
“It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.” – President George Washington
“The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle.”- Motto of Navy Seals
God of our fathers, who by land and sea have ever led us to victory, please continue your inspiring guidance in this the greatest of all conflicts. Strengthen my soul so that the weakening instinct of self-preservation, which besets all of us in battle, shall not blind me of my duty to my own manhood, to the glory of my calling, and to my responsibility to my fellow soldiers. Grant to our armed forces that disciplined valor and mutual confidence which insures success in war. Let me not mourn for the men who have died fighting, but rather let me be glad that such heroes have lived. If it be my lot to die, let me do so with courage and honor in a manner which will bring the greatest harm to the enemy, and please, oh Lord, protect and guide those I shall leave behind. Give us the victory, Lord.” – General George Patton
“It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.” — Father Dennis Edward O’Brien, USMC
“I know what I’m capable of; I am a soldier now, a warrior. I am someone to fear, not hunt.” ― Pittacus Lore, The Rise of Nine
“When you become a leader you give up the right to think about yourself.”– Gerald Brooks
“We need to learn to set our course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.” – Omar Bradley
“I don’t measure a man’s success by how high he climbs but by how high he bounces when he hits bottom.” – General George S. Patton
General Colin Powell’s Rules:
It ain’t as bad as you think. It will look better in the morning.
Get mad, then get over it.
Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.
It can be done!
Be careful what you choose. You may get it.
Don’t let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.
You can’t make someone else’s choices. You shouldn’t let someone else make yours.
Check small things.
Remain calm. Be kind.
Have a vision. Be demanding.
Don’t take counsel of your fears or naysayers.
Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.
Be strong, and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight. – 2 Samuel 10:12
For You have girded me with strength for battle; You have subdued under me those who rose up against me. – Psalm 18:39
Ten Veteran’s Day Quotes
“Honor to the soldier and sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country’s cause. Honor, also, to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field and serves, as he best can, the same cause.” ― Abraham Lincoln
Honoring the sacrifices many have made for our country in the name of freedom and democracy is the very foundation of Veterans Day. – Charles B. Rangel
From the world wars of Europe to the jungles of the Far East, from the deserts of the Middle East to the African continent, and even here in our own hemisphere, our veterans have made the world a better place and America the great country we are today. – John Hoeven
Damn the wars but bless the soldier.” ― T.L. Moffitt
Well, look at what people are doing for returned veterans now. The wounded warriors. They’re working hard to make the wounded veterans feel that they are loved and welcomed home, unlike Vietnam. It was not a very kind, gentle world then. I think we are kinder and gentler.- Barbara Bush
On this Veterans Day, let us remember the service of our veterans, and let us renew our national promise to fulfill our sacred obligations to our veterans and their families who have sacrificed so much so that we can live free. -Dan Lipinski
Congress should stop treating veterans like they’re asking for a hand out when it comes to the benefits they were promised, and they should realize that, were it not for these veterans, there would be nothing to hand out. – Nick Lampson
“Nearby sat a veteran in a wheelchair. He was young, handsome, and athletic, through missing a leg.
My daughter went to him and asked, “You’re army – right?”
He said, “Yes, I am.”
My daughter hugged him. “Thank you,” she said. Tears welled in the man’s eyes.
“Did you get my card?” she asked. “My school sent you a card. It said, ‘Thank you for saving our Earth.'”
The guy just about lost it. He said, “You’re welcome. Yes, we did get your card. Thank you for doing that.” – Michael Sobel, son of Herbert Sobel. Michael talking about his 6 year old daughter meeting veterans.” ― Marcus Brotherton, We Who Are Alive and Remain: Untold Stories from the Band of Brothers
The most basic obligation we have to our veterans is that we keep the promises that were made to them. That is what makes the recent failures of the Veterans Administration so shameful. – Doc Hastings
“Serving my country was a life-changing experience for me. It was during those years that I realized the importance of commitment, dedication, honor, and discipline. I have never laughed so much; nor have I ever prayed so much. I made life-long friends. The leaders and heroes I served with helped shape me into the man I am today. I feel honored to have been a part of such a great tradition and grateful to others who have walked the same path. Thank you!” ― Steve Maraboli
Prayer for Veterans
Thank you Lord, for all of our Veterans. May we honor them and learn from them as they tell us their life stories. They have battled for our freedom. They have considered the cost and chosen to serve a greater cause than themselves. Bless them Lord. Protect them with you Divine Protection. And heal any wounds that they may have received in body, mind, and spirit for their sacrifice has been great, in Jesus Name.