Sometimes there are no words to express how we feel when one of our own dies. It’s hard. We recently lost one of our hometown Soldiers to a senseless act of violence. Yes, Ethan Barclay-Weberpal was killed Jan. 16 at Camp Pendleton was from Janesville, WI. Our city mourns him. It’s not right. He just graduated boot camp and was killed by a fellow Marine. Stabbed to death by a peer. He was a Marine. What happened to Semper Fidelis?
“Semper Fidelis” or “Semper Fi” signifies the dedication that individual Marines have to “Corps and country,” and to their fellow Marines. It means “always faithful” and it’s the Motto of the Marine Corps. What happened?
Not much is being released in the News, just that the other Marine was arrested. I didn’t know Ethan, but my friend did. I can’t imagine the pain that Ethan’s family is going through. It is so wrong.
According to USMClife.com:
Messages also came from Marines who knew the private first class, “saying what a great guy he was, sharing pictures, offering to help in any way they can while they are hurting themselves,” Casey said.
One of those Marines described Ethan as an “amazing” young man who brought a smile to everyone who knew him, and one of the few who continued to go to church.
The Marine said the pastor once invited anyone who knew the songs to lead them, and Ethan knew all the words.
“He led a lot of people to God,” Casey said.
“Those are messages that make you say, …” Scott said, hesitating.
“They make you ask why,” Casey said, finishing the thought.
Dear Lord, comfort Ethan’s family and friends. Flood them with your love and your comfort. And bring justice to this situation, in Jesus Name!
You can donate to Ethan’s family here:
5 Quotes to Remember Our Fallen Soldiers
- “We do not know one promise these men made, one pledge they gave, one word they spoke; but we do know they summed up and perfected, by one supreme act, the highest virtues of men and citizens. For love of country they accepted death, and thus resolved all doubts, and made immortal their patriotism and their virtue.” – James A. Garfield
- “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.” – H. Norman Schwarzkopf
- “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter the words, but to live by them.” – John F. Kennedy
- “And they who for their country die shall fill an honored grave, for glory lights the soldier’s tomb, and beauty weeps the brave.” – Joseph Rodman Drake
- “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell