I love palm trees. They remind me of the beach with sun and sand and water. It’s almost like instant rest in a tropical oasis. Palm trees are resilient, they grow in the desert in hot, humid climates. Here are some great facts about palm trees and how we as Christians can flourish like them in spite of the storms we go through.
How to Flourish Like a Palm Tree in the Storms of Life
1. Palm trees grow high above the Earth. Some can reach 70 feet tall. We as Christians are seated in Heavenly places with Jesus. As He is, so are we in this world. We are not better than any one else, but we are not worse either. The Lord made the Earth and everything in it. He looked at it and said, “It is good.” Let us allow ourselves to adopt a larger vision and reach for the Lord like the palm tree.
2. Palm trees bend in storms they do not break. Their trunks are flexible. In the midst of the storm, they stand. even after hurricanes, the palm tree still stands. We as well face many storms in this life. When the Holy Spirit is within us we find the strength to stand in the midst of the storms. The wind may blow, the rain may come, but our Lord will whisper to us despite what is happening and lead us to quiet streams.
3. Palm Trees are a symbol of eternal life. The Assyrians believed that eternal life was symbolized by a palm tree growing beside a stream. Jesus is our Eternal Life. This life is not all there is. We can and will get through the storms – God promised He would be with us and lead us every step of the way. Let us be flexible with our thoughts and attitudes and listen to His voice and leading.
4. Palm trees are evergreens-they do not lose their leaves in any particular season. Our faith stands despite our circumstances. There are times we pray despite what we see happening. Our faith is evergreen, the leaves do not fall off. If God said it – then it’s true. We may have to pray fervently and bring Heaven down to Earth as part of the journey.
5. Coconuts are seed and if you plant one by the beach a new tree would grow there. We have the Spirit of the Living God within us – Christ in us is our hope of glory. The more we walk with Him the more we will become like Him. We are planted in the House of the Lord. God gives us the power to grow where we are planted. And His Divine DNA is already planted within us!
6. Palm trees grow in extremely hot climates. In times of drought they tap into the water deep below the ground. Jesus has promised us living water and that we would never thirst again. In the midst of the mess, we can draw water from the Living Word Himself to sustain and strengthen us. As the winds blow, dig deeper within the Word and spend time with Jesus. Wells of living water will spring up within you
7. Palm trees symbolize victory. In Bible times when men would return from war people would wave palm tree branches to celebrate the victory. No wonder when Jesus entered Jerusalem the people waved palms! Jesus has defeated every foe, every sickness, every disease at Calvary. By His stripes we are healed. Sometimes we need to celebrate the victory before we see it. Like Jesus said, “It is finished.”Let us walk out on the water with our faith and walk with Jesus today!
The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree,
He shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. -Psalm 92:12 NKJV
Diana Rasmussen is a Faith Builder, Worship Leader, Veteran's wife, and Customer Service Rep. At her blog Prayers and Promises she shares from her heart on how to find hope in this crazy world!