Well, so far in this series “Spring Training – Exercising Our Faith” we have talked about:
Today I would like to share some things I learned about breaking the generational curses over our lives. There are times that we find ourselves in a situation merely because it has followed us there. Kind of like genetics. If you mom had brown hair, and your dad had brown air, odds are you will have brown hair. The same is true in the spiritual. There may be curses like poverty, divorce, illness, or other things that may be lingering around from the past. Only the Blood of Jesus can break these curses. He is the One who became the curse so that we could obtain the blessing. You can read all about the curses and blessings in Deuteronomy 28. But as a believer, I had to learn how to APPLY the Blood of Jesus in my life so that these curses would be broken.
And as a Believer I did know that I had the authority to break the curses over my own life. I always thought I needed to go to someone to do that. You know, some super-spiritual Pastor or something. Not so. We have the authority – God gave it to us. And we can redeem the past for good – no matter what our Ancestors did. This study was very eye-opening for me. And I did it! I pray that you take the authority God gave you and break the curses over your life and your family’s lives. God bless you as you do!
Here is one of the most powerful sermons I have found on this subject along with my sermon notes.
Through the redemption of Christ we should be released from the curses and enjoy the blessings. But the body of Christ enduring curses when they should be enduring blessings. One of the reasons is we do not recognize what is a curse and what is a blessing. We many not know how to be released from the curse and enter into the blessings.
CURSES AND BLESSINGS BOTH ARE VEHICLES OF SUPERNATURAL POWER FOR GOOD (Blessings) , OR FOR EVIL (Curses).
One characteristic feature of them is they will continue from generation to generation until someone knows how to cut them off (curses). The result is that many people are bearing consequences in their life that took place long ago. We many need to trace where the problem came from and take the appropriate action to be released.
These Vehicles may be:
1. Words – spoken, written, or pronounced inwardly by you or someone else.
2. Can be transmitted by physical objects
When the curse is broken there is no more reason for sickness.
In Deuteronomy 28 there are 14 verses of blessings and 54 verses of curses. Here is Derek’s summation on that chapter:
- Exaltation – no longer living under things
- Reproductiveness – fruitful in every area of your life
- Prosperity or Success
- Authority (Head)
- Above (Strength)
7 Curses (the opposite)
- Barrenness – failure to reproduce
- Sickness of all kinds
- Poverty or failure
- Helplessness (tail)
- Beneath (weakness)
“The difference between the head and the tail is the head makes the decisions, the tail just gets dragged around.” -Derek Prince
Ask the Holy Spirit to give you the application for these areas. The Holy Spirit is the teacher. We should be above our circumstances.
7 Indications That We Are Dealing With A Curse:
- Mental/Emotional Breakdown – people fall apart, emotional or mentally or both
- Repeated/Chronic Sickness – hereditary things, or if Dr’s cant find any normal cause
- Female Problems – barrenness, miscarriages, menstrual problems
- Breakdown of marriage/family alienation – families fall apart, marriage break up, children are separted from each other
- Continued Financial Insufficiency – a history, not a season, of being short
- Being accident-prone – not natural to always be that person
- History of Suicide/Unnatural Deaths – frequency of those things in a family.
A curse is like a long evil arm from the past and every time you are just about to succeed this evil arm trips you up and you have to get up and try again. A curse is like a dark shadow from the past shutting out the sunlight of God’s blessings.
Causes of Curses and Blessings
Blessing = Listen to God’s voice and do what He says
Curses = Don’t listen to God’s voice and don’t do what He says
The greatest sources of curses in people’s lives are breaking the first two commandments. We must not acknowledge any other God. Or bow down or serve idols. See Exodus 20:3-5. Whenever we go to another source for something we should go to God for, we are actually making that other thing our God. For example, if we go to a Fortune Teller for information for the future where God has said not to use that channel, you are making the power behind that Fortune Teller your God. Same with cults, ouiji boards, occults – you are making a God that is not the true God.
Sources of Curses:
- False Gods – Exodus 20:3-6
- Idolotry (occult) – Deut. 27:15
- Disrespect parents – Pr. 30:17
- Treachery – neighbor – Pr. 17:13
- Injustice to weak, poor – Pr. 28:27
- Unnatural sex/incest – Lev. 20:10-16
- Anti-Semitism – Gen 12:3; 27:29
- Depending on flesh – Jer. 17:5-7
- Stealing/perjury – Zech. 5:1-4
- Stinginess toward God – Mal. 3:8-10
- Men who speak as God’s Mouthpiece against someone – Joshua 6:26, I Kings 16:34
Other Sources of Curses
Persons with Relational Authority – A husband, Parents, Teachers, Pastors, etc. Words spoken by those people have special power whether they are blessings or are curses. In the Bible, the best blessing someone can have is a blessing from their Father. And sometimes the worst things are said by a father to his child.
For example if a Father says to his son, “You will never make it. You will always struggle.” 20 years later his son doesn’t do well. Or if a Father says to his daughter, “You will always have pimples on your face.” 15 years later she still does. Or what if a Teacher says, “You’re shallow, You’re stupid.” That was a curse spoken over a child. And that child was still reacting to those words in their 60’s.There is authority behind those statements. There is a demonic element behind those words. James 3:14-15.
Self-Imposed Curses – Curses spoken by us. Gen. 27:11-13. It’s a self-imposed curse. Rebekkah begins to use negative lanuage about herself in verse 46 of that chapter. She curses herself.
Sometimes we are the ones cursing ourselves. For example if you have said, “I’m tired of living, or what’s the good of living, or I’ll never be able to do this, or I’m a failure, or I’m no use, or I wish I were dead” – you have cursed yourself. And you are inviting the spirit of death into your life! Many people need to be delivered from the spirit of death because they invited it in themselves. Here is the Word to defeat that spirit – If you have made a negative remark on yourself or about yourself, you need to revoke it and replace it with the positive.
Psalm 118:17 I SHALL NOT DIE BUT LIVE, AND PROCLAIM WHAT THE LORD HAS DONE!
Curses from Unscriptural Covenants – Exodus 23:32 No covenant with people with those who worship other Gods, if you do then you make a covenant with their God. In the Western World, there are Free Masons – that is a covenant that brings a self imposed curse. It is idol based. The true God is joined together with 2 idol deities that God has condemned.
Curses by Practices of Tribal Societies – new babies or a young person is initiated into the tribe by cuts in their skin.
Curses from Servants of Satan from the Evil Side – Witchdoctors, Cutting, Elders in Tribes, Witchcraft. Satan’s servants have the power to curse.
Curses from false gods, and forbidden objects – Deut. 7:26 Burn the carved images of their gods, nor bring it into your house. When you bring anything that is associated with idolatry or the occult into your home you are opening the way for a curse to come into your house.
If you believe you need deliverance, go home and check what you have in your home. See if there is anything there that advertises another god except Jesus Christ. Children are very sensitive to this. They may not sleep at night as they feel it. Somewhere in that house is something that gives Satan access. For example, horseshoes are superstition – they don’t protect you they open the door to Satan.
HOW TO BE RELEASED FROM A CURSE
- Establish a scriptural basis for your release – Gal 3:13-14, Eph 1:7, Col 1:12-141 John 3:8,Luke 10:19
- Confess your faith in Christ. Jesus is the High Priest.
- Commit yourself to obedience – hear God’s voice and do what He says
- Confess any know sins by yourself or by your ancestors. Confess the sins of your ancestors too, you are not guilty of their sins, but you are affected by them. Be released from it
- Forgive all other persons
- Renounce all contact with the occult by yourself and your ancestors
- Get rid of all forbidden objects
- Release yourself in the Name of Jesus. Whatever you bind on Earth will be bound in Heaven, whatever you release on Earth will be released in Heaven
- Confess and Expect the Blessing of Abraham! We are released from the curse to receive the blessing. The Holy Spirit administers the blessing. He has the Key to God’s Storehouse.
- Expect the blessing in ALL things. It won’t happen overnight. Go the right direction, you are on the way. Keep walking, keep listening, and doing what God says.
A PRAYER OF RELEASE
Lord Jesus Christ, I believe that you are the Son of God and the only way to God, that you died on the Cross for my sins, and rose again from the dead. That on the Cross you were made a curse with every curse that is due to me, that I might be redeemed from the curse and enter into the blessing. Lord I confess any sins committed by me or by my ancestors. I ask your forgiveness. I also forgive every other person who ever harmed me or wronged me.I forgive them as God forgives me. I also forgive myself. I renounce all contact with the occult in any form. And I commit myself to get rid of any contact objects. And now Lord, having received by faith, your forgiveness, with the authority I have as a child of God, I now release myself and those under my authority from any curse over our lives. Right now in the name of Jesus I declare release, I claim it, I receive it by faith in the Name of Jesus! Thank you Lord!
More from Derek Prince at: http://www.dpmuk.org/
(Image Sources: rushchurchunited.org, 1john417.wordpress.com, Pinterest)
Spirituality Spring Training blessings Book of Deuteronomy christianity curses Deliverance Derek Prince generational curses God Holy Spirit Hope Inspiration Religion and Spirituality Spiritual warfare Spirituality Spring Training
Diana Rasmussen is a Faith Builder, Worship Leader, Veteran's wife, and Customer Service Rep. At her blog Prayers and Promises she shares from her heart on how to find hope in this crazy world!