There will always be “kings” on the throne who want your worship. Who want your approval, your support, your adoration for them and their ideas. But just because they are sitting on their own throne, doesn’t mean that we are to blindly follow. I am learning that there will be times when I will have a choice, to bow or not to bow. And it might mean going to the fire!
“Blessed (happy, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable) is the man who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly [following their advice, their plans and purposes], nor stands [submissive and inactive] in the path where sinners walk, nor sits down [to relax and rest] where the scornful [and the mockers] gather.
But his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord, and on His law (the precepts, the instructions, the teachings of God) he habitually meditates (ponders and studies) by day and by night.
And he shall be like a tree firmly planted [and tended] by the streams of water, ready to bring forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not fade or wither; and everything he does shall prosper [and come to maturity].” (Psalm 1:1-3 AMP)
I read this Psalm last night and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Not saying something, sitting idle, resting and relaxing without standing up for something is not right. The silence of Adam – he was there too when Eve ate that apple – but he sat silently and watched, and did nothing.
The Downfalls of Pride
- Pride builds a mighty high throne to sit upon.
- Pride worships what it has made, claiming ‘ownership’ of something that God has done. Not every “king” is “King”. And it’s a long way down.
Pride blinds people to love.
Pride demands that others do or don’t do something.
Pride demands worship.
- Pride accuses others. There will always be those who gossip to the ‘king’ about what you are doing or not doing. Just waiting to crucify you for something with bad attitudes driven by fear and jealousy.
- Pride belittles others. There is an ‘air of superiority’ or ‘better than thou’ attitude that comes with pride.
- Pride kills the Spirit.
The False God Made of GolD
King Nebuchadnezzar made an object of gold which looked like a god. It was fifteen times taller than a man, and as wide as three long steps. He set it up on the plain of Dura in the land of Babylon. Then Nebuchadnezzar called together all the captains, leaders, rulers, wise men, money-keepers, judges, and law-keepers of Babylon’s lands. He called them to come to the first showing of the object that he had set up. So all the captains, leaders, rulers, wise men, money-keepers, judges, and law-keepers of Babylon’s lands were gathered together for the special time of setting apart this object Nebuchadnezzar had set up. And they stood in front of it.
Then the man who spread news for the king said in a loud voice, “This is what you must do, O people of every nation and language: When you hear the sound of the horns and harps, and all kinds of music, you are to get down on your knees and worship the object of gold that King Nebuchadnezzar has set up. Whoever does not get down and worship will be thrown at once into the big and hot fire.”
Then all the people heard the sound of the horns and harps and all kinds of music. All the people of every nation and language got down and worshiped the object of gold that King Nebuchadnezzar had set up.” (Daniel 3:1-6 NLV)
So, what do you do when you run flat smack into the Pride Monster?
Time to make a choice – stand up for what is right, or just go along with the crowd.
Daniel and his friends made a choice…
(Image Source: bibleyp.com )
- The Fiery Furnace – Daniel 3 (hillsbiblechurch.org)
- How the Mighty Have Fallen! – Daniel 4 (hillsbiblechurch.org)
- UNDERSTANDING WHOSE BATTLE IT IS…part II (pennyshaldrelicious.wordpress.com)
- Daniel Overview (hisstillsmallvoice.wordpress.com)
- Hidden Pride (ashishdaniel.wordpress.com)
- The Self-Made Man (stkaallen.wordpress.com)
- Daniel 1:3-7 “Babylon U” (graceportland.org)
Diana Rasmussen is a Faith Builder, Worship Leader, Veteran's wife, and Customer Service Rep. At her blog Prayers and Promises she shares from her heart on how to find hope in this crazy world!