you're reading...
Domestic Violence and Abuse, Poetry

He Brought Me Flowers (may trigger – be safe)

I have had many abusers in my past.  I have lived in many shelters.  Who knew you could find freedom at the YWCA?  The last time I lived in a shelter with the kids (after I had left this husband 7-8 times already), was it – I was not going back.  I went through the 30 day program the YWCA offered.  Then I took part in a program called Project Breakthrough at the local Salvation Army.  They helped me with rent, and I took budgeting classes, cooking classes, and even a class on criminal thinking.  Yep, my thinking was messed up after all that.  I’ll save that for another post.

You see him smiling, laughing all the time,
I know him later, when you’re not around.
Behind the smiles are the swear words,
he calls me each night.
When he turns into a demon,
and just wants to fight.
But he brought me flowers,
does he love me after all?
To make up for the bruises
that happen at night.
Copy of images (1)Broken and battered,
although that I am,
He brought me flowers,
does he love me after all?
So which man do I believe in today?
The lover by day, or the demon by night?
The hurt and the bruises he gives just to me.
What is it today Lord?  Why does he say that it’s me?
Will the pain ever end?
Will I ever be free?
From the demon I married,
before he kills me.
© 2013 Diana Rasmussen

About dianarasmussen

Prayers and Promises is about "Finding Hope in This Crazy World' Diana Rasmussen is the Author of "SNOW WHITE DARKNESS - Smothered by Control" available on Amazon and Kindle. A real life journey out of Domestic Violence and into the arms of God.

9 thoughts on “He Brought Me Flowers (may trigger – be safe)

1. That poem wow… I must encourage you to Google the lyrics of the song Too Beautiful by He Is We! You might be able to relate! I don’t even know you yet I am so proud of you

Posted by thediaryofachipmunk | March 5, 2013, 11:08 pm
  2. I am glad you are still here to inspire us all with your strength, your beauty and your voice to be heard and to help others!

Posted by The Presents of Presence | March 4, 2013, 7:12 am
  3. Phew! Glad to see you are okay now (I was getting worried for a minute there!) :) It IS hard to face the truth but living in denial is pretty tough too :( Blessings!

Posted by Ann | March 4, 2013, 5:19 am
  4. Thank you so much for ministering to us. You are a special blessing .. God bless you!

Posted by Debbie | March 3, 2013, 9:49 pm
  5. Wow. I almost felt a little funny “liking” this post. But it spoke to me and touched me. The poem is beautiful and really, really powerful.

Posted by Gail | March 3, 2013, 2:27 pm
    • No worries Gail, all is well. I never thought I would share this part of my life, but there are many more women who need a way out of abuse. There is a way, and God does provide. I think the hardest part for me was to face the truth, and stop living in denial. What he did was wrong, and criminal.

Posted by dianarasmussen | March 3, 2013, 6:47 pm

1. Pingback: Share the Love – June 2013 | Burning Fire Shut Up In My Bones - June 1, 2013

Your thoughts are treasures...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog Stats

• 158,143 hits
Follow Prayers and Promises on WordPress.com

Diana’s Book

Diana Rasmussen Music

Diana Rasmussen

Diana Rasmussen

Paraprofessional, Worship Leader, Musician, Author, Computer Geekette

© 2013-2015 Diana Rasmussen. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Diana Rasmussen with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Some images are sourced from the internet and are in the public domain. I claim no credit for any images or videos featured on this site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyright to its respectful owners. If you own rights to any of the images or videos, and do not wish them to appear on this site, please contact me and it will be promptly removed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,746 other followers